Once I purchased my beloved Thermomix, alcohol free vanilla bean paste was one of the first recipes I tried. I used Tick of Yum’s recipe but since then have created my own and now you can make it too.
Some time ago when I was cake decorating, I remember searching far and wide for alcohol free vanilla extract. The struggle was real. I had great difficulty finding any and came across only one brand but it really wasn’t as cheap as I’d like considering how much I used in my recipes. And unfortunately, cheap does not equal quality when it comes to vanilla products.
I use my alcohol free vanilla bean paste in so many of my recipes that it was a no-brainer to create my own. Not only will you save money, it is quick and easy to make too.
I purchased quality whole vanilla beans online and only use a fraction of them at a time which means a little goes a long way. This recipe makes over 300 grams of alcohol free vanilla bean paste for just over $7!
- 10 organic vanilla beans - approx. 20 g
- 250 g organic coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 100 mls cold water
- Place half of the vanilla beans in a food processor and pulverise on the highest speed until a fine sand is achieved.
- Add half of the coconut sugar to the food processor and pulverise together with the vanilla until a fine powder is combined.
- Using a fine sieve, sift the contents of the processor into a clean bowl, discarding any large pieces that are left behind.
- Repeat STEP 1, 2 and 3 with the remaining vanilla beans and coconut sugar,
- Add all the ingredients into a clean pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring to combine.
- Wash down the sides of the pot using clean water and a pastry brush to prevent crystalisation upon cooling.
- Allow to simmer for 8 minutes and not longer otherwise the mixture will burn.
- Pour into a sterilised jar and allow to fully cool before sealing.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Use 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla bean paste in substitute to 1 tsp vanilla extract/essence.
This prevents the alcohol free vanilla bean paste from crystalising upon cooling so it should not be omitted.